Getting hurt in an accident is a trying experience, whether it is a car accident, a fall, or you are injured by a faulty product. There’s a lot that needs to be done in order to get your life back to normal. You need to physically and emotionally heal from the experience, and undoubtedly, there will be medical expenses associated with your injuries.
You may miss work, and depending on the severity of the injury, you may even face a decrease in your earning potential. Many people who face this type of situation end up dealing with an insurance adjuster and hope for a check that covers the accident-related expenses. However, the amount of compensation offered by the insurance company is unlikely to cover the true cost of the injuries and other expenses. In order to avoid being short changed, it is wise to consult with a personal injury lawyer in order to determine your chances of obtaining a larger settlement or award for your injuries.
Can’t I handle this on my own?
Sure, you can try to resolve your case without a lawyer. However, there are numerous advantages to obtaining representation after an accident, including:
A lawyer can help you understand your options
- When you work with a personal injury lawyer, you will need to explain what happened to the best of your ability. The more you explain, the better your attorney will understand the impact the injury is making in your life. With a clear idea of what happened, your attorney can better advise you on how to proceed and outline options going forward.
Attorneys have access to the resources you need
- Since lawyers frequently work with medical professionals, accident reconstructionists, and often have their own investigators, they can call on these people to help them get detailed accounts from police reports, witnesses, and medical experts to help support your claim and show that your injuries are directly related to the accident
Your attorney wants you to succeed
- Most personal injury attorneys handle claims on contingency. In short, your attorney’s pay is directly related to the settlement he or she is able to negotiate or the award you win in court. The insurance company does not have the same motivation. Insurance premiums are paid to insurance companies with the hope that the benefits are never tapped into, or that settlements are kept to a minimum.
- When it comes to legal matters where large sums of money are at stake there are often many players involved, including: insurance companies and their attorneys, medical staff, law enforcement, witnesses, judges and/or juries, employers, and more. The average person doesn’t have experience dealing with all these people. However, a personal injury attorney does. That experience will help your case stay on track with a good strategy and all the legal resources you need.
An accomplished attorney can help you get the money you need
- In any personal injury matter, a favorable settlement or verdict is ultimately what’s desired. By combining experience, legal resources and a strong devotion to helping clients succeed, your attorney can make a significant difference in the final outcome of your case.
At Shollenberger Januzzi & Wolfe, LLP, our firm has been helping clients for more than two decades. Our accomplished lawyers and professional legal staff are ready to take a look at what happened with your accident and can give you a clear idea as to the best course of action in your case.