Compensating Victims Of Nursing Home Negligence
There are more than 700 nursing homes in Pennsylvania, and every year the Department of Health conducts more than 5,000 inspections to ensure that residents receive appropriate care. Unfortunately, many residents suffer serious injuries or die due to negligence or abuse.
If your parent or loved one has been injured in a nursing home, the attorneys at Shollenberger Januzzi & Wolfe, LLP offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and explain your options. With offices in Harrisburg and Enola, we represent victims of nursing home abuse and neglect throughout central Pennsylvania.
What Can Go Wrong In Nursing Homes
The following are examples of the types of nursing home negligence cases we handle:
- Medication errors: Dispensing the wrong drug or the wrong dose of a drug can have a devastating effect on a resident’s health.
- Bedsores: When an immobile resident is not moved or repositioned regularly, dangerous bedsores can develop, leading to serious infections and sometimes death.
- Abuse: It is hard to imagine nursing home staff abusing the residents they have been paid to care for. However, physical, sexual and financial abuse of vulnerable adults does occur.
- Malnutrition or dehydration: Many elderly people have a decreased sense of hunger and thirst. If nursing homes do not take steps to ensure adequate nutrition and hydration, the resident’s health can suffer.
- Elopement: When a resident has memory problems, wandering away from the facility can result in serious injury or death.
Not every injury that occurs in a nursing home is due to negligence or abuse. Our lawyers will carefully evaluate your case to determine if your loved one’s injury could and should have been prevented by nursing home staff.