Trader Joe’s grocery stores are a hit in Pennsylvania and in other areas across the nation. As average consumers, many of us forget the work that goes into stocking the stores we love with the products that we love. There are workers at different levels who are responsible for getting us the products we come to rely on.

Recently, workers in a warehouse for Trader Joe’s had to unexpectedly leave the job due to an unusual work injury. It’s the invisible sort of danger that led a reported 18 Pennsylvania warehouse workers to the hospital: carbon monoxide.

Homes should have carbon monoxide detectors in them, and places of business should also alarm inhabitants when there is a threat such as fire or a carbon monoxide leak. Fortunately in this case, there was a system in place that alerted the warehouse workers of the gas threat.

Still, workers who were exposed to the gas leak at their place of work suffered from workplace-related illness as a result. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and more. Exactly which symptoms the employees in this case experienced isn’t disclosed. But reports do indicate that workers were seen by medical professionals and will recover.

Though those responsible for the place of work in this case were wise enough to have an environmental monitoring system, it is still important for officials to look into the gas leak. Could more have been done to prevent the carbon monoxide leak? It is one thing to have a detection system, but employees should be able to trust that they are not working in an environment where leaks are even a likely threat.

OSHA is investigating the workplace safety issue.

Source: Lehigh Valley Live, “East Allen Township Trader Joe’s warehouse employees expected to recover from carbon monoxide leak, company says,” Tommy Rowan, Sept. 24, 2012