Woman files malpractice suit after catching fire during birth

by | Apr 14, 2012 | Medical Malpractice

A medical malpractice lawsuit has been filed by a woman who caught on fire while she was on the operating table giving birth to her daughter via Cesarean section. The incident took place on March 1, 2010, shortly after her attending physician had made an incision. The anesthetic evidently caught fire due to a spark from a surgical tool, setting her abdomen ablaze.

Although she was sedated, she was able to smell something burning, and her mother, who was present, observed some smoke. The obstetrician paused in performing the operation to use his hand to put out some small flames on the woman’s left side.

The birth of the woman’s daughter continued, and the child was healthy and unharmed. The new mother, on the other hand, suffered a third-degree burn 7 inches long and 5 inches wide on her side. She says the injury was extremely painful. A plastic surgeon who examined said it was similar to wounds found on napalm victims.

The mother is 42 and a professor of business at a major university. Her lawsuit seeks damages from both the obstetrician and the hospital where the incident occurred. She argues that they neglected to pay attention to a recommendation by the manufacturer of the antiseptic that was put on her skin before the surgery. Because that antiseptic is alcohol-based, a number of safety precautions are indicated to avoid just the kind of fire that occurred.

Several nurses and the anesthesiologist stated that they had not been aware of the possible problem and had never been trained in the precautions to take. The antiseptic is known as DuraPrep and is made by 3M, which the mother does not blame for the incident.

It seems reasonable that when performing any medical procedure, doctors and nurses should be aware of all the warnings and indications of the products and devices they’re using. Those who neglect to study this information should expect a medical malpractice suit when things go wrong and injury or death happens as a result.

Source: Syracuse.com, “Woman’s abdomen catches fire during C-section, as surgical tool ignites antiseptic,” John O’Brien, April 1, 2012

Archives

Don’t Wait. Get Your Free Consultation Now

findlaw-network

FREE Injured Worker’s Guide

Book Cover: The Injured Worker's Guide to Compensation Law in Pennsylvania by Kristopher Januzzi Esquire

The Injured Worker’s Guide to Compensation Law in Pennsylvania by Attorney Kristopher Januzzi is available for free!

Request A Copy Now

Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Super Lawyers
2015 Litigator Awards | Ranked Top 1% of Lawyers
Avvo Rating | 10.0 Superb | Top Attorney Personal Injury
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Pennsylvania Association for Justice
Pennsylvania Bar Association | Your Other Partner
Better Business Bureau Accredited Business | Click for review
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Loading...