A Pennsylvania worker was injured and transported to a care facility when his clothing caught fire as he was warming himself and got too close to an open flame portable propane heater. His co-workers helped to put out the flames by rolling him on the ground and using a fire extinguisher.
The accident occurred on the morning of Jan. 7. The worker, who was in his mid-50s, suffered burns to his legs and buttocks and was airlifted to a burn center. The location of the burn center and further details about the man’s condition were not available.
The plant where the man was working is Conshohocken Steel located in the Ambler section of Upper Dublin. Large metal trash containers are manufactured at the plant, which has no heat in the section where the accident occurred other than that provided by the portable heaters.
When a worker has been injured on the job, workers’ compensation insurance is a source for providing funding to the injured person and his or her family during recovery and until the injured person can return to work. It may be helpful to seek assistance from an attorney who is knowledgeable of the worker’s compensation laws in order to assure that the worker is receiving all the assistance to which he or she is entitled by law. An attorney may also assist with making sure that the injured person is receiving the necessary medical care and therapy and, if it is appropriate, seeking damages from any related parties.
Source: The Times Herald, “Norristown man seriously injured at Upper Dublin steel plant“, Linda Finarelli, January 07, 2014